o break or not to break eggs? That is the question many packing stations face when dealing with rejected eggs from the grading operation, especially when the egg market is down. Furthermore, the volatility of the prices of these eggs and the limited market outlets for them, combined with the many issues when handling these rejected eggs, such as their fragile nature, makes for a puzzle. However, there is a simple solution that requires little space and can turn the losses of rejected eggs in profitable high-value egg products.
Solution for your rejected eggs
Yield losses during storage, transport and loading into the equipment have been estimated between 4% and 7%. When combining these losses with the downtime generated at the breaking plant, packaging material waste, and the environmental impact due to additional cleaning compounds and water, the losses reach staggering numbers.
But, how else should these eggs be handled? One solution is to add small-scale egg processing equipment to your operation. Doing this will reap many benefits, such as:
- Return on investment.
- Retaining your customers by offering them fresh, high-quality liquid or frozen egg products.
- By handling eggs directly from the grader, labor, materials and storage space are reduce.
- Liquid products can be packed in insulated portable containers or large containerized bag-in-box style totes, eliminating the need for refrigerated storage rooms.
We understand that most packing stations do not produce enough second-quality eggs to justify investing in a large, complex egg breaking and processing plant. Therefore Moba offers easy-to-operate egg processing equipment with a small footprint that not only breaks these eggs using a sanitary method, but also produces a wide variety of egg products: the Pelbo Ovolution Systems.
The Pelbo Ovolution Systems meet all the requirements of today’s market and offer all that you expect from the Pelbo brand, such as:
- Egg products keep egg natural quality for an optimal functional performance in industrial receipts.
- Modern egg pasteurization technologies that obtain the highest possible bacterial reduction for a long egg product shelf life.
- Full automation and longtime pasteurizing technologies that permit long uninterrupted pasteurizing.
- Low energy consumption technology with very low operational cost.
- Whole egg or separating configuration.
- Tailor-made solutions depending on customer requirements.
The Ovolution Systems can be installed in a small room adjacent to the grading operation, with a conveyor directly from the grading machine to the egg breaker. The egg breaker receives and breaks the eggs and the raw egg product immediately enters a blending tank to create a homogeneous mix. From the tank, the products are filtered and immediately pasteurized and packed. The time it takes a broken egg to be pasteurized and packed is less than 20 minutes.
So, next time the question arises what to do with your rejected eggs, know that egg breaking and processing is now a viable alternative and can be added to your operation as simple as adding a packer to your grading machine.