Early Life and Career:
- Started with chickens at age 12, helping his family farm grow from dairy to chickens.
- Graduated from high school and couldn’t afford college, so joined the family chicken business.
- Witnessed the consolidation of the egg industry in the late 80s and early 90s.
Center Fresh and Versova:
- Founded Center Fresh with partners to reach the goal of 1 million birds.
- Joined Versova, a family of independent producers specializing in different areas.
- Currently manages flock planning for all Versova operations in Iowa (20-25 million birds).
Role and Responsibilities:
- Schedules flocks across various companies and sites, ensuring smooth logistics and timing.
- Deals with constant changes, including bird flu outbreaks, requiring adjustments and flexibility.
- Works with various teams (genetics companies, processing companies, trucking companies) to coordinate operations.
- Compares his role to an auctioneer or an orchestra conductor, ensuring everyone plays their part in harmony.
Challenges and Rewards:
- Bird flu outbreaks and tight schedules present constant challenges and require quick thinking.
- Working with a great team and contributing to feeding the world are the main rewards.
Advice for Newcomers:
- The chicken industry is never boring, offering daily challenges and learning opportunities.
- Be prepared for unexpected changes and flexibility in your daily plans.
Give back to your community and enjoy the satisfaction of helping others.
- Bruce emphasizes the importance of teamwork and collaboration in the poultry industry.
- He mentions several individuals who have made a significant impact on his journey.
- The interview ends with a lighthearted exchange about the unpredictability of working in the industry.
Overall, Bruce Dooyema’s story is one of dedication, hard work, and a passion for the poultry industry. His insights and advice offer valuable guidance for anyone considering a career in this dynamic field.
– Director of Commercial Accounts – Prism Controls
The Poultry Leadership Podcast is only possible because of its sponsor, Prism Controls
Find out more about them at www.prismcontrols.com